We all reach a stage in life when we think about what it’s all meant.
Why were we here? What was the purpose of this life? What have we left behind?
Planning a legacy gift to the Essex Region Conservation Foundation is a wonderful way for you to cherish and protect our community’s natural environment. Your gift will:
- Acquire, protect, and restore natural areas
- Connect students with nature by educating them on the importance of conservation
- Conserve our area’s cultural heritage
- Connect our region through trails
By leaving a planned gift to the Foundation, you will be part of our Living Legacy Circle – joining the special people who have made a commitment to a healthy environment.
By leaving a bequest through your will, your estate will build a lasting investment in our local environment for future generations. Your bequest can be a specific amount or the balance of your Estate. A bequest can be structured as an endowment gift or expendable. It can be restricted for a specific purpose or you can let Foundation decision-makers decide where your gift is needed the most, when it’s received.
There are many ways to leave a bequest to Essex Region Conservation Foundation.
- A specific bequest directs a specific dollar amount or particular assets, such as securities, real estate, or other tangible personal property to the Essex Region Conservation Foundation. Through a residuary bequest, the Essex Region Conservation Foundation receives all or a percentage of the remainder of the estate after specific amounts bequeathed to other beneficiaries have been distributed and other estate-related expenses have been paid.
- With a revocable living trust, a donor can name the Essex Region Conservation Foundation a beneficiary of assets remaining in the trust after the lifetime of one or more individuals. As with a will, the Essex Region Conservation Foundation can be designated to receive all or a portion of the trust’s remaining assets.
- If you have an existing will, your attorney can prepare a codicil that modifies and clarifies your intention to bequeath funds to the Essex Region Conservation Foundation. If you have an existing revocable trust, your attorney can prepare an amendment that allows you to change or qualify its terms.
- To make a bequest, consult with your attorney or financial advisor to add the proposed language to your will, codicil or trust amendment:
I give, devise and bequeath to the Essex Region Conservation Foundation, a nonprofit organization, with principal business address of 360 Fairview Avenue, Essex, ON, N8M 1Y6, the sum of _______ [or otherwise describe the gift or assets] for general purposes and use at the discretion of the Essex Region Conservation Foundation’s board of directors. The Essex Region Conservation Foundation’s charitable business number is 118902162RR0001.
This information is for illustration purposes only and should not be construed as tax or legal advice. Consult your attorney, accountant or financial advisor for the best planned giving approach for your needs and interests.
Consider some of the following additional options as you make your planned gift:
Giving a life insurance policy is one way to maximize your contribution. It enables you to make a significant gift to the Foundation with minimal outlay of current savings or income.
Charitable Gift Annuities
When you establish a charitable gift annuity, you secure a guaranteed stream of income for life while also providing support for the Foundation.
Naming a charitable organization, such as the Foundation, as beneficiary of your retirement plan would result in a charitable donation tax credit that would offset taxes owed.
Charitable Remainder Trusts
A charitable remainder trust will allow you to make a gift now, receive immediate tax benefits and continue to receive the income for as long as you, or you and your spouse live, or for a specified number of years.
The Living Legacy Circle
The Living Legacy Circle is a formal recognition society which honors the extraordinary generosity of those who have made a commitment to the future of our community by including the Foundation in their estate plans.
Your commitment to the Foundation is important, and we invite you to strengthen that commitment by joining the Living Legacy Circle. Your membership in the Living Legacy Circle is a lasting investment in the work of the Foundation, advancing the Foundation’s mission, and ensuring our region is sustainable.
To become a member, you should notify the Foundation of your intended bequest or other planned gift, you will be included in the Living Legacy Circle. As a Living Legacy member, you will receive a special Living Legacy membership certificate, invitations to Foundation events, and a tree will be planted to honour your commitment.
Please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 519-776-5209 x366 for more information on planned giving and the Living Legacy Circle.
Philanthropy is a very personal decision. A professional advisor can help clients realize their charitable objectives by listening for charitable giving opportunities, explaining options, and suggesting solutions. Significant giving opportunities often arise when clients are making major business, personal, and financial decisions. Our foundation can work with you and your client to recommend the best charitable solution.
We have many documents and links that can help you and your client decide what gift or giving option best suits them. Click on any of the topic areas below to learn more.
Canadian Charitable Gift Matrix – Types of gifts and benefits of giving them